Journals

 

Vaughn's Houses


[photo]

Akron, Ohio

[description]


[photo]

1975 Germaine Street, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

[description]


3626 E. Layton Avenue, Cudahy, WI

3526-26A E. Cudahy Avenue, Cudahy, WI

HIGH SCHOOL YEARS AS AN UNDER CLASSMAN

By Pat and Dick Longtin

Pictured above are the two homes where the Monroe family lived in Cudahy, Wisconsin. The first home (at the top of the page) was built in 1909. The second home was a two-family house built in 1917. At the time, Vaughn was a 13-year old teenager and played trumpet in the high school band. These houses were less than one mile apart. The family later moved to Jeannette, Pennsylvania where Vaughn graduated from high school and continued on to college and his musical career.


101 N 2nd Street, Jeannette, PA

HIGH SCHOOL YEARS AS AN UPPER CLASSMAN

By Claire Schwartz

This is the address given for Ira and Mabel Monroe in 1928-1929. The house appears to have been located in the vacant lot between the two homes pictured. These homes are located on a hill east of downtown Jeannette, which is located in the valley behind the homes in this photo. See High School Days - Jeannette, PA for additional information.


3 Pine Road, Wayland MA

A COTTAGE FOR TWO

By Pat and Dick Longtin

In Wayland, Massachusetts in the years 1940-41 Vaughn Monroe and his beautiful wife, Marian, moved into their first cozy 504 square-foot cottage at 3 Pine Road, on an 84 acre pond. The pond was called Dudley Pond. This home was a few miles from Seiler's Ten Acres which was the base for his first performance as the Vaughn Monroe Band with him singing and leading. The rest is history, great success and much bigger homes. But none greater than: A Cottage for Two.

We would like to sincerely thank Savitri A. Ramgoolam from the Town of Wayland, Board of Assessors and Ted Vassallo who is the present owner and who has updated the home in recent years, for all their assistance and help.


1185 Park Avenue, New York, NY

PENTHOUSE ON THE PARK

By Carter B. Horsley
 

One of the very few grand courtyard apartment buildings left in Manhattan and the only one still standing on Park Avenue, this very large and very handsome building has 185 cooperative apartments.

Designed by Schwartz & Gross, it was developed by the Bricken Construction Company in 1929.
The building has a Gothic-inspired triple-arch entrance and driveway on the avenue and its very large courtyard leads to six elevator lobbies, each of which service only two apartments a floor. A nice feature of the landscaped courtyard is that the separate entrances have their own canopies and that the facades facing the courtyard were nicely ornamented and finished.

The building has a two-story limestone base with a dark masonry fašade above with terra-cotta trim near the corners. Like many buildings of its era, its windows had awnings that have long since given way to air-conditioners. The apartments are spacious and there are some duplex penthouses.


35 Pickwick Road, Newton, MA

THE HOMESTEAD

 


41 High Point Drive, Stuart, FL

ST. LUCIE LIVING

By Claire Schwartz

This is the house that Vaughn designed himself to be his "retirement" home. The house is white, with clean lines and a classic look after the Greek Revival style of architecture. A handsome portico with a colonnade of white Ionian pillars marks the entrance. The front door has a patterned set of handles fashioned after musical notes. The long shuttered widows and white tile roof set off the structure elegantly. The house is located on the east bank of the St. Lucie River and has a dock in the back where Vaughn likely kept his boat. The style and good taste are so evident in the design and the man who designed it. According to his wife Marian, "He loved every nook and cranny of it."